Sunday 14 August 2016

Brighton Big Dog 2016

The Brighton Big Dog is an event with its own unique 'cool' vibe. Stanmer park provides the ampitheatre, in which the DJ blasts tunes to the assembled masses, as they swarm around the trade tents. The sunshine attracted a large crowd this year to cheer on the riders. These included some big names in the world of British mountain biking, inlcuding Ben Thomas the UK National Champ.


With only 7 days until the Grand Raid I wanted to use the Big Dog as my final tuning ride before packing the bike for the flight to Switzerland. This made the day a slightly weird experience. Instead of jostling to the front of the huge field of starters I intentionally went to the back. This meant my first lap was paced by those around me without the temptation to chase the leaders. 

The brutal course was designed by Ian Leitch a multiple Big Dog winner. Rather than the repetitive up / down nature of recent years, there were long leg burning climbs which rewarded in terms of some gloriously sweet singletrack decents. Two climbs in particular challenged the power in your legs. To demonstrate the effort riders were putting in, on one lap I passed 3 riders repairing chains on the same steep section of chalk.

The first few hours passed relatively uneventfully. I gradually caught and passed solo riders, while the pairs and team riders kept surging by. I was trying to take it easy, enjoy the ride and not pay much attention to my position. This became especially hard on the 7th lap when two riders I knew were in my category came past as I spun up a climb. It was hard but I resisted the overwelming urge to stick to their rear wheel and carried on at my own pace. 

I finished my 8th lap with 44minutes of the 6 hours remaining. Just about time for one more lap, I was feeling fine so decided to let myself off the leash! My final lap was my fastest! 

I finished 10th, exactly as I did last year. This has given me a lot of optimism as I rode well within myself whereas last year I truly gave it my all. I've also woken up today not feeling too sore, and completed a gentle recovery ride so I am optimistic that I haven't taken too much out of myself ahead of next week.


Race Stats:
  • Position : 10th
  • Race Time : 5hrs 54min
  • Distance : 60 miles
  • Winner : The other Ben! National Champion - Ben Thomas

No comments:

Post a Comment